History of Rundle’s Mission

Along the northwest shore of Pigeon Lake is a trail that was travelled by aboriginal people for centuries. An artesian well along the trail offered fresh drinking water for both man and beast. It was this site that the Rev. Robert Rundle chose in 1847 as the location for a mission.

For almost 50 years, missionaries and the Nakoda and Cree people met at this place for worship and in council. They lived through a period of great upheaval and change. After the land was sold and homesteaded in 1906, the mission and its people were largely forgotten, until interest revived in the 1950s. Today Rundle’s Mission is recognized as a provincial historic site and a National Historic Monument. Story panels along a self-guiding interpretive trail tell of the people who lived and worked in the area, and the place is once again a meeting place for all.


The Robert Rundle Journals
View journals of Robert Rundle (written from 1840 to 1848) on a site called “Our Roots – Canada’s Local Histories Online”.
View Here

Company Fool or God’s Tool
Robert Terrill Rundle, the Hudson’s Bay Company, and the Plains Indians. By Daniel Johns. Source: Alberta History. Publication Date: 22-MAR-07.
View Here